If your walls are feeling lonely, you want to have beautiful wall art, such as canvas prints or framed prints, is the perfect way to pull your space together. It also adds that extra character and charm that your home decor might lack. However, all people are interior designers, choosing wall art for your space may be a challenge to do that. That’s why we put together this list of tips and simple guidelines on how to choose wall art for your home to help you feel confident that you’ve picked the perfect masterpiece.
1. Size matters
While your canvas may be breathtaking, if the size isn’t right for your space, something will feel off. Too small and it’ll feel like something’s missing, too large and it’ll feel too crowded. So, you’ll want to keep these important sizing tips in mind before selecting your wall art.
- Your wall art should take up 50%- 75% of the available wall space, whether that be of an empty hallway wall or blank wall above furniture, such as your couch, bed or fireplace. Chances are, that it will be a large space to fill, so when it doubt, go big.
- Give your wall art some room to breathe by hanging it between 6 to 12 inches above the top of the furniture.
2. Let your personality shine
You deserve a home that feels true to you. Which is why it’s important to choose wall art that embodies your one-of-a-kind personality. Rather than selecting cookie-cutter pieces, add your own spin to your space by creating custom, meaningful canvas prints of your fondest memories or your coolest travel picture. You can also add some pictures to your wall art by mix and matching frames and canvas prints in a gallery wall, creating a unique collage print, seeing the bigger picture with your favorite colors or hobbies.
3. Match the room style
If you want your wall art to belong, a simple way to choose your wall art is by matching it with the style and feel of the room. If you have modern decor, then abstract art, a family shot, or a bold piece will suit the space nicely. If your home is bohemian or more of a rustic style, you should learn towards warmer, earthy tones with your favorite travel photos or some landscape shots.
4. Select a theme
Another great and fun way to choose wall art is by selecting a theme for your room. Do you want a bright, tropical, beach theme? Then a family beach vacation canvas print would be a great idea. Or, do you prefer a more simplistic and elegant theme? Then a black and white wedding photo in a framed print may be your best bet.
You can also try matching your wall art to fit the seasons. For example,you can swap out that beach family canvas for a cozy landscape photo of the autumn leaves during fall. Seasonal wall art is a simple way to ensure that your decor matches the seasonal vibes and mood.
5. The right color
As a general color rule,you usually want to choose an art piece that will match your room without detracting from any of the design elements that are in it. Yet, this doesn’t mean you can’t choose bold pieces or challenge the status quo, but it’s best to first understand how you want to incorporate color into your home.
Here are different ways to play with wall art color:
- Go simple and cohesive by sticking to a single color scheme with wall art that matches the color palette of the room.
- Reference the color wheel to select complementary shades to have opposite pops of color.
- Use the same color scheme but in different shades. For example, a light green and white canvas print looks beautiful on a dark green wall.
- Keep the colors of your wall art equal in proportion to their presence in the room. For instance, if the space is beige and navy with yellow throw pillows, select wall art that is beige and navy with a touch of yellow.
- When in doubt, go colorless with balck and white photos.